COLUMBUS, OH – Columbus 2020, the 11-county regional economic development entity, today released its comprehensive 2011 Annual Report recapping the organization’s first full year in operation. Key accomplishments span strides in organizational development, increased activity in business development, and the kick off of an integrated marketing and media relations campaign to promote the Columbus Region.
“It’s interesting to take a look back at Columbus 2020’s first full year in operation and see all of the accomplishments we’ve achieved, with the help of our local, regional and state partners,” said Kenny McDonald, chief economic officer, Columbus 2020. “We still have lots of lofty goals ahead of us, but we have created a strong roadmap to continue progress.”
Some of the key highlights noted in the 2011 Annual Report include:
- Establishment of an 11-person Board of Directors, the addition of team members to execute economic development activities, and completion of $30 million fund-raising effort to support the strategy for the next five years.
- Generation of more than 150 qualified projects, participation in more than 40 business development missions in North America, and facilitation of 50 first-time visits from companies considering the Region.
- Creation of the ColumbusRegion.com website; development of videos, testimonials and print advertisements; and increased media relations efforts, including hosting numerous international journalists.
- Increased emphasis on existing business retention and expansion, including interaction with more than 500 companies in the Region and collaboration with JobsOhio on assisting businesses.
- Commitment to entrepreneurship, including the creation of the First Customer initiative to boost the growth and success of biomedical and technology start-ups in the Columbus Region.
- Organization of three quarterly economic development forums, in addition to a half-day regional dialogue attracting more than 300 attendees.
The successes achieved to date align with Columbus 2020’s 10-year goals of adding 150,000 net new jobs, increasing per capita income by 30 percent, adding $8 billion in new capital investment, and ensuring that the Columbus Region is recognized as a national leader in economic development.
For a current list of Columbus 2020’s progress, visit the reports section of ColumbusRegion.com.
About Columbus 2020
Columbus 2020 is a bold public-private partnership that leverages the strengths of the Columbus Region’s talented workforce, small and large businesses, research and academic institutions, and international connections to ignite economic growth and build a healthier, more sustainable future for Central Ohio. The initiative grows our economy by ensuring that our existing companies are growing and thriving, that the world’s leading companies are attracted to the 11-county region, that innovations are cultivated and commercialized, and that our civic infrastructure is continually improving to meet the challenges of a rapidly evolving world economy. For more information, visit ColumbusRegion.com.