Major Research Institutions
- World’s largest contract research and development organization
- Annual research budget of more than $5 billion
- Innovations range from M&M candy coating to drone countermeasure technology
- Helps commercial clients across wide range of industries solve challenges
CAS (Chemical Abstracts Service)
- A division of the American Chemical Society finding, collecting and organizing all publicly disclosed substance information
- Adds more than 15,000 records each day to CAS database, currently totaling over 67 million records
Center for Automotive Research (CAR)
- Interdisciplinary research center in The Ohio State University’s College of Engineering
- Collaborates on advanced product development projects with industry
- Advanced technology company driving solutions in big data and cybersecurity
- Creates innovative solutions to address common challenges of seven founding corporations
OCLC (Online Computer Library Center, Inc.)
- Global library cooperative providing shared technology services, original research and community programs
- Maintains Dewey Decimal System and WorldCat, the world’s most comprehensive database of information about library collections
The Ohio State University
- One of the country’s leading research institutions
- Enrolls 59,000 students at its main campus in Columbus and has 200 undergraduate majors and more than 250 masters, doctoral, and professional degree programs
- Ranks No. 2 among all universities in industry-sponsored research with leading research programs in biological and agricultural engineering, computer engineering and material sciences.
- Engaged in research partnerships with more than 340 companies in Ohio, more than 120 of which are in the Columbus Region.
The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- One of the fastest-growing pediatric research centers in the U.S.
- A top ten free-standing children’s hospital based on NIH funding
Transportation Research Center
- Largest independent vehicle test facility and proving grounds in North America
- Testing smart mobility through $45 million investment that includes world’s largest high-speed smart mobility intersection and largest and most flexible smart mobility test area
- Member-based service connecting and serving Ohio’s bioscience community to drive success in improving global quality of life
- World leader in developing and deploying new technologies that enable companies to bridge the gap between R&D and manufacturing implementation
Manufacturing Extension Partnership at OSU
- Focuses on value-added manufacturing consulting services for small- and medium-sized manufacturers
Ohio Supercomputer Center
- Provides supercomputing services and computational science expertise to university researchers and industry
- Provides growth services and resources to accelerate technical innovation, ranging from market assessment to product and process development to supply chain optimization
Science and Technology Campus Corporation (SCITECH)
- Not-for-profit research park created by The Ohio State University providing affordable office, research, education and specialized lab space with close proximity to Ohio State, the Wexner Medical Center, Battelle and CAS.
Colleges and Universities
The Columbus Region is home to 52 college and university campuses with a total enrollment of nearly 134,000 students and more than 22,000 annual graduates.
The Columbus Region is also home to the largest concentration of PhDs in the Midwest, and has more PhDs than the national average.