Doing Business Here
Columbus itself is the largest city in Ohio, the15th largest city in the U.S. and is located at the heart of the largest concentration of population and economic activity in North America. The Columbus Metropolitan Area spans 4,000 square miles.
Columbus Region Quick Facts:
- 15 Fortune 1000 headquarters are located in the Columbus Region.
- The city of Columbus is Ohio’s state capital, and the fourth most populous state capital in the nation.
- Columbus is the largest city in Ohio, the15th largest city in the U.S., and is located at the heart of the largest concentration of population and economic activity in North America.
- The Columbus Metropolitan Area spans 4,000 square miles.
- The largest university in North America--The Ohio State University--is located a few miles north of downtown Columbus; 26 other universities and colleges surround the region.
- 147,000 college and graduate students are currently enrolled in Columbus Region universities and colleges.
The Columbus Region is well connected to the rest of the U.S. and beyond:
- Port Columbus International Airport provides services to 33 destination airports by 155 daily flights.
- The Columbus Region features enhanced freight rail connections to east-coast ports in Norfolk, Va.; Baltimore, Md.; and Wilmington, N.C.
- 47 percent of the U.S. population and 47 percent of the manufacturing capacity of the entire nation is within a day’s drive by freight truck from Columbus.
A snapshot of Columbus Region economy:
- Our diversity helps make us strong. In the Columbus Region economy, no single major industry sector represents more than 18 percent of employment.
- Information technology, logistics, advanced manufacturing, finance and insurance, healthcare, headquarters and back-office operations, and other industry sectors are complemented by the presence of The Ohio State University and Ohio state government.
In the past decade, the fastest growing sectors have been education and health (+28 percent), transportation and utilities (+21 percent), and professional and business services (+11 percent).